It is important to get some basics that will last and are needed, a good sofa, armchairs, a dinning table, chairs and a good and comfortable bed. But there are plenty of more to have to make an interior look perfect. But do not rush, an ideal and cosy home should be built slowly in the same way we build our lives. It is a process that require time and different views on making choices and decisions. A quirky piece of furniture that is the latest trend on every magazine it is the must have of today but do we really think it will become a timeless piece for us to treasure? It will surely tire us after a while. To me the perfect home is that which is a reflection of a journey, our life.
When choosing furniture and making a wonderful home this is my advice:
– Go for quality well made pieces, the important is to select furniture which will become, after time timeless, classics on their own. It does not matter you go for a classic style or modern, timeless applies for both, like the word contemporary. Contemporary might well be used for modern furniture but also for classic.
– Do not rush on your decisions, visit furniture showrooms, internet stores, magazines, blogs,… Make a list of possible options and go through it several times in different days. What today might seem the perfect choice, in a couple of days it is not.
– When buying furniture it is also very important to know the space possibilities of your home. Dimensions need to come first.
– This also applies to the access of each place. Some furniture pieces won’t get to your flat if corridors, doors and windows are too narrow.
– Auction places, second hand websites and antique markets are perfect places to find unique pieces at affordable prices. And do not be afraid of mixing. In fact ‘mixing’ is what makes a home interesting with that personal touch that we all aim for.
– To conclude, do not rush with it as if everything has to be ready at the same time. If you want that to happen you will find it exhausting and stressful and eventually you will hate it. Let things go with the flow and slowly your place will take another dimension.